About Sandra Beckwith
I teach authors like you how to market, promote, and publicize your books. I offer training programs and other resources that take the mystery out of key book marketing tactics and work one-on-one with authors so they get over, under, or around book marketing and sales roadblocks or obstacles. Rather than offer book marketing services, I help authors discover how to do it themselves.
Years of Experience
Book marketing courses and resources
I’m the author of three traditionally published and three self-published books, including two that were best-sellers in their Kindle categories for a nanosecond.
I started my career in public relations after getting a journalism/public relations degree. I’m no longer a public relations practitioner (I lost the fire in my belly for that), but I have received the Silver Anvil award – the Oscar of the public relations industry – and several other national and regional awards for publicity excellence.
My experience promoting my own books has landed me on “The Montel Williams Show” as a guest expert, on “CBS This Morning,” on MSNBC, and on several national cable TV shows including “Home & Family” and “Crook & Chase.” I’ve been featured in most major dailies including USA Today and The Wall Street Journal as well as several newspapers in other countries, in major magazines including the National Enquirer and Woman’s World, and on hundreds of local and national radio programs that include “Whad’ya Know with Michael Feldman.”
On TV talk show sets, I’ve sat next to Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus author John Gray (who wrote the foreword to my first book), comedian Rita Rudner, “Cathy” cartoonist Cathy Guisewite, and actor George Segal.
I’ve been selected to speak at conferences that include Book Expo America, the American Society of Journalists & Authors, the UW-Madison Writers Institute, Author U, and many others. What’s more, this site has been recognized for excellence by the Association of Independent Authors, the Alliance of Independent Authors, Booksie.com, and TheWriteLife.com.
I work a lot because I love what I do, but even I know that you have to step away from the screen and recharge. I’m lucky to live in a quaint little Erie Canal village that has sidewalks and streetlights; I can do a one-hour walk that takes me alongside the canal on the towpath and past the library (so convenient!) and many beautiful Victorian homes with front porches and glorious gardens.
I also enjoy reading fiction, eating gluten free (no choice – celiac disease!), sleeping, and laughing with friends – but not necessarily in that order.
Here are a few other important things you might not know about me
- I have two adult daughters who are smarter than me. They don’t live nearby, so visiting them is high on my list of priorities.
- I am the middle child of seven born within nine years. Yup. Can’t make this stuff up.
- While in college, I took broadcast journalism courses from former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani’s ex-wife, Donna Hanover.
- I put myself through college. Tuition was a lot lower then.
- One professional highlight: A speech I wrote for actress and dancer Debbie Allen was quoted in The New York Times.
- I have been self-employed so long that I’m not employable. And that’s okay.
- My favorite drink is a tall, extra-hot, skinny vanilla latte at Starbucks. It’s my adult Kool-Aid, soothing jangled nerves or knocking out a lingering headache.
Enter your name and e-mail address and I’ll send you my free (and surprising!) list of the Top 5 Free Book Promotion Resources that you can use immediately to jump-start your book marketing campaign.